The student news site of Webster Thomas High School

Webster Thomas Courier

For Chance Lawson, guitar is passion and stress-reliever

Author Danzae Pace is quoted as having said, “Stress is the trash of modern life-we all generate it but if you don’t dispose of it properly, it will pile up and overtake your life.”

We are always interested in how students manage stress, and we noticed that, once or twice a week, the melodies of junior Chance Lawson’s guitar fill the hallways in the north end of the Webster Thomas building.  Asked about his guitar playing, Chance says, “It’s a way for me to relieve stress — and I love music.”

He explains that he’s been playing guitar, bass, and piano since seventh grade, he is self-taught, and he loves the “classics,” which, for him include a range of singer-songwriters and bands from several eras ranging from the 1960s to the 1990s.  Among his favorites?  The bands, “Yes,” “Collective Soul,” “Kansas,” “Nirvana,” and the American singer-songwriter legend Bob Dylan.

The piece Chance is playing in the accompanying video is his own composition, which he titled, “Summer.”  Chance says he was going for a “lightness” in tone and that the song is supposed to convey anticipation.  He was trying to create the mood of summertime and the feeling that, “You’re about to have fun.”