The student news site of Webster Thomas High School

Webster Thomas Courier

Meryl Streep vs Donald Trump…So what about that exchange of ‘tweets’?

Some argue that Meryl Streep is wrong.  Yet others argue that President Trump needs stop using Twitter as a way to criticize what he does not like.  A sign at one of the protests Jan. 21, 2017, the day after the Inauguration.

Kate Hill

Some argue that Meryl Streep is wrong. Yet others argue that President Trump needs stop using Twitter as a way to criticize what he does not like. A sign at one of the protests Jan. 21, 2017, the day after the Inauguration.

President-elect Donald Trump’s “tweet” regarding Meryl Streep’s criticism of him at the Golden Globe awards.

Jan. 16, 2017 — When Meryl Streep accepted her Golden Globe award in early January, she made a six-minute speech in which she criticized President-elect Donald Trump for his campaign rhetoric and for what many perceived as a mocking of a disabled New York Times reporter.  While some have expressed disapproval that Streep brought politics into her acceptance speech, others expressed approval of her message as warranted and important.  Here is a range of opinions from students in the Journalism class, who watched the speech and reviewed the exchange of tweets.

It was inappropriate for Meryl Streep to rebuke Trump at the time she did. If she wants to say something about immigrants, then so be it, but I see the Golden Globes as a time to celebrate, not to cast down someone. Trump, now in a position of high authority, should make sure he is above reproach. But that is his responsibility.  Since its beginning, the Hollywood ethos has been grounded in the expression of individuality. However, if the prominent figures of Hollywood value such declaration of personality,  then they should certainly extend the privilege of self-expression to everyone, especially in social media. If Meryl Streep wants to express her feelings without incurring criticism, then she should grant that opportunity to others as well. — Timothy Fletcher

Donald Trump’s tweeting habits should stop when he becomes president. When he’s behind a “screen,” we can’t see his emotion or the true intentions of his tweets. When we see these tweets, we assume the worst of them. But these assumptions are essentially his fault for not owning up and speaking out about his opinion in a more serious forum. If he wants to defend himself, he shouldn’t post it on a social media account.  Instead, he should take matters into his own hands, being the president-elect, and simply apologize instead of causing drama (and what seems to be fun, in his eyes). I understand that he would want to defend himself, but was calling her an “over-rated” actress necessary to get his point across? Trump had options to defend himself in a more presidential way. — Brianna Belec

His Twitter account should be run by somebody who is qualified in using social media.  His tweets are controversial and often hurtful to many people.  These tweets should be regulated.  I don’t follow him on social media, but I’ve often heard from other people about the rude things that tweets out. If he’s going to be president, he’s literally putting himself out there to be criticized.  It’s concerning that he can’t keep to himself and accept or ignore such criticism. — Ashley DeCann

Honestly, if he wants to keep acting like a three-year-old, he can.  He said he wants to ¨make America great again,” but when will he start? By the way, ¨making America great again¨ does not mean bullying others and using power for evil. Trump is stripping America of its good and replacing it with hate.  I say, prove to us you can fix your mistakes, and then get with the program; a ton of people are counting on you!  Stop putting your life on Twitter, and start thinking about the people who need you to be there. If you can’t handle it, then leave. I don’t want to waste my time with you.  I do agree with Meryl Streep when she says that he’s awful for speaking and making fun of a reporter the way he did.  At the same time, she really shouldn’t have said that in front of everyone. — Leah Hendler

Donald Trump’s habit of “tweeting” disrespectful messages out is an inappropriate use of his power. When he becomes president, this habit needs to stop before he tweets something worse, or offends someone of a higher power. If he uses his Twitter following to degrade famous actors, he will lose respect from those actors’ fan bases. In his tweet regarding Meryl Streep, he called her “over-rated.” I disagree with this; Meryl Streep is one of the most highly regarded actresses of her time. She has been nominated for endless awards for her acting, and she holds the current record for the most Academy Awards nominations of any actor.  She is not “over-rated.” – Rachel Hill

The habit of tweeting out messages should not continue when Donald Trump is president.  This may be 2017, a year with advanced technology and social media.  However, as a future president, Trump should be more professional. It is childish to post these messages because they have no real facts, they are biased, and they target anything that offends Trump or his campaign. As our future president, he is not being a model of what our government leaders should be.  When Meryl Streep criticized him during the Golden Globes, his tweet regarding her was expected. Streep is right about some of the points she makes about him, even if it is risky for an actress to openly discuss politics. — Kathryn Hobbs

I disagree with Trump’s means of communication through social media.  It’s unprofessional, and if you’re going to be the leader of the free world, you need to be able to have “small ears” (a term my dad used to use; he’d say that when someone says something you don’t like or disagree with, you have to have “small ears” and just not hear it).  Even so, I side with Meryl Streep because she most definitely has a point that if you deported all immigrants or just people who aren’t born and raised in America, we won’t be left with much.  The grand thing about America is our diversity.  You can’t just take it away after all these years; we would be affected drastically.  We all are ridiculed or judged; it’s a cruel world and you will be talked about.  But it doesn’t mean you can just argue back.  To gain respect, you have to be able to let the naysayers’ words roll off your back.  Even if they’re right. —  Ashley Schenkel

We hope you will respond with your own informed opinions.  Keep comments concise and respectful.