The student news site of Webster Thomas High School

Webster Thomas Courier

Words of wisdom from seniors

Nicole Lundahl asks seniors for parting words. They share advice on everything from congregating in the halls to choosing courses.

Seniors bring spirit for their last pep rally.

Nicole Lundahl

Nicole Lundahl

With the days of school dwindling down to the single digits, with the last day of classes on June 12, seniors are making their last memories of high school. When asked to reflect on the time they have spent here and to give advice to those who still have time left here, the seniors gave advice about grades, hallway manners, and school life.

Since there is only one month left in the school year, can you reflect on your four years and give advice to underclassmen or incoming freshmen to how to deal with what you perceived as the hardest part or biggest struggle of your time here?

“The little things don’t matter: fights with friends, your first breakup with boyfriend / girlfriend isn’t the end of the world.”

Kaitlyn Dedrick

“1. Just do what you’ve got to do and get out of here. Don’t get caught up in stupid drama; just focus on yourself and your school work, and you’ll be fine.”

“2. Don’t stop in the middle of, stand, have large groups or walk really slow in the hallway because you will get pushed and then get mad because you got pushed by an upperclassman. If you’re going to text in the hallway, make sure you know where you’re going so you don’t hold up the flow of 100-plus students in the hallway at once.”  Kaitlyn Cllifford

“Be really appreciative of the people who are your friends. Trust yourself that you are enough.”   Grace Gumina

“Make a map or set of directions to help you find all your classes. If someone tells you to go upstairs, they’re lying to you.”

“As soon as you get to your study hall, get the library sign out pass for study hall. It’s the best way to make sure you can use the library.”

“When you are upset or embarrassed about something, ask yourself: Will it matter in two days? Two weeks? Two years?”         Meghan Mendola

“If it’s your first Spirit Week- don’t be shy or afraid to go all out. Dress up, wear your colors.”   Jenna Caccamise

“Keep your grades up, but don’t freak out if you get less than a 90 from time to time.”

“Try not to overdo everything- you don’t want to peak in high school.”

“Do not try to be anybody but yourself.”   Claire Ashton

“When I reflect back on my four years at Webster Thomas High School, I am struck with disbelief at how quickly my time here has passed. Even in the most difficult moments, perseverance through studying and staying on top of your work does help. But, remember not to become a workaholic either. If you go down this path, your time at Webster Thomas will be miserable due to you not giving yourself time to enjoy life outside of school. It really is a balance between being a good student, and doing things outside of school to benefit yourself, such as hobbies, etc….

“In the end, don’t stress.  Most of this stuff doesn’t matter anyways… As long as you graduate, you’ll be fine. College is where the real fun begins.”   Darian Hodzic

“At the beginning of senior year you will feel like everything is happening at once; you will  feel like you’re drowning. 

“Don’t cluster in the halls”  Jacob Baller

“My advice for everyone is to be open minded about people who aren’t in your “friend group.” You can make some great and amazing friends by branching out and accepting people. I would also say that even though your parents say school work is the most important [thing in high school], it’s not.  Family and friends are the most important. You don’t want to go to college and regret not spending more time with your family and friends while they were right in front of you.”  Erin Mongeon

“Stay on top of your work.”

“Don’t break the ping-pong paddles” Justin Spiegel

“Respect the spaces that are set aside for seniors during and after school.”  Amanda Vestri

“The hardest part of high school had to be the workload. But that depends on how many Advanced Placement classes you are in and whether you are looking for a challenge. Make sure you turn in homework and projects in on time — and study! Most teachers give you plenty of time to do so anyway. High school isn’t what people have made it seem in the past; it is nothing to be afraid of.”

Claire “Gracee” Bilow

“When you’re a transfer student, and introverted on top of that, you may feel like a total outsider in a new school. I’m here to tell you that’s okay; all you really need is one or two good friends to get you through high school. Find them, stick with them, and you’ll be fine. In the long run, high school friendships won’t matter so much once you go to college and beyond. Don’t feel like you’re failing or missing out.

“Times will get tough throughout the year, whether it be because of academics or something else. Just push through. Take it day by day. Keep telling yourself it’ll be done and over with soon. There are no short-cuts. This is hard to do, but your work will pay off. Of course, don’t force yourself too much or you’ll burn out too fast.

“Try not to cave to senioritis, especially if you’re a student who’s worked hard for all of your high school career so far. It can cost you more than you’d expect. Cutting a little slack is fine; just don’t overdo it.”   Hannah La

“The hardest part of high school for me, was not the tests, or the hours of studying for classes, or anything like that.  For me it was the coming to terms with that my high school career is finally over.  It was something that I seemed to think would stretch out forever.  Yet it went by faster than I expected.”  Mitch Miller